[Rt-devel] rt2-to-rt3-1.23 out of memory

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri May 28 10:36:12 EDT 2004

On May 28, 2004, at 3:16 AM, Robert Loomans wrote:

> When I tried to run rt-2.0-to-dumpfile it ran out of memory. The Linux
> machine in question has 4GB and 4GB of swap.

A common failing is understanding that unix like systems are not
originally single-user boxes.  That means that just because your box
has X amount of resource it does not  mean that any single process can
use that much resource.  In particular, check the memory resource
limits of your process that is running the export.

Anyhow, did your export get any tickets out or did it die while
exporting the other info like users list and configs?

I've found that it helps to purge the user list of owners who do not
own any tickets (be sure not to delete the root user, or any privileged
user).  You can do this with a left join on the tickets table on the
owner id.  I do this after purging dead tickets (we get a boatload of
spam to our abuse@ queue).