[Rt-devel] rt2-to-rt3-1.23 out of memory

Robert Loomans robertl at apnic.net
Sun May 30 21:59:01 EDT 2004

> A common failing is understanding that unix like systems are not
> originally single-user boxes.  That means that just because your box has
> X amount of resource it does not  mean that any single process can use
> that much resource.  In particular, check the memory resource limits of
> your process that is running the export.

No such luck. The machine is a test box.... Aside from the usual
suspects (sshd, syslog, etc), the only things running on the machine
were mysql and the script. There are no ulimits set up for users.

I'm not sure if the kernel is using the Linux default 3G/1G
userspace/kernel split or 4G/4G, but the process had topped 2.5G when I
went home... When I got home and checked, the process had aborted with
the message "Out of memory!"

> Anyhow, did your export get any tickets out or did it die while
> exporting the other info like users list and configs?

Nope.... looks like it was still loading stuff for the metadata file.

> I've found that it helps to purge the user list of owners who do not own
> any tickets (be sure not to delete the root user, or any privileged
> user).  You can do this with a left join on the tickets table on the
> owner id.  I do this after purging dead tickets (we get a boatload of
> spam to our abuse@ queue).

That's my next step before I start modifying the script... I've written
a script that looks for dead tickets, removes them and prunes any orphan
transactions, attachments, users, keyword objects, links, etc, etc.
Unfortunately, we have a huge number of perfectly legitimate users....

Rob

--
Robert Loomans, Programmer/Analyst                 <robertl at apnic.net>
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC)   Tel: +61-7-3858-3100