[Rt-devel] Multi-instance patch

Oliver Hookins oliver.hookins at anchor.com.au
Mon Dec 19 21:27:22 EST 2005

Stephen Joyce wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> I replied directly to you; if you didn't get the reply, I've included it
> again below.  Also cc'ing the list, as maybe someone else has some helpful
> suggestions too.
>
> -----
> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:07:36 -0500 (EST)
> From: Stephen Joyce <stephen at physics.unc.edu>
> To: Oliver Hookins <oliver.hookins at anchor.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [Rt-devel] Multi-instance patch
>
> Oliver,
>
> I'm running both instances on the same virtual host, but I don't see any
> reason it shouldn't work in differing hosts via redirection (but I do think
> the lines below must not appear inside a <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> spec.
>
> Your problem may be that RT_INSTANCE_PATH needs to point to a full
> instance.  So, for me, when I set RT_INSTANCE_PATH=/var/rt3_purchasing the
> config that gets used is /var/rt3_purchasing/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm.  Notice
> that RT fills in the "/etc/" part of the path automatically.
>  $ ls /var/rt3_purchasing/
>  etc  lib  local  var
>  $ ls /var/rt3_purchasing/etc
>  RT_Config.pm  RT_SiteConfig.pm

OK so I have instead (outside of the virtualhost tags):
FastCgiServer
/home/testguy/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/libexec/mason_handler.fcgi
-initial-env RT_INSTANCE_PATH=/home/testguy

I am using /home/USERNAME for all of my separate instances. Using this,
I get a 500 internal server error from the webpage, and the following in
the apache error log:

Can't locate /etc/request-tracker3.4/RT_SiteConfig.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/local/share/request-tracker3.4/lib
/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/lib /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/lib/RT.pm line 176.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/libexec/webmux.pl line 85.
Compilation failed in require at
/home/testguy/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/libexec/mason_handler.fcgi
line 52.
[Tue Dec 20 13:22:15 2005] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/home/testguy/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/libexec/mason_handler.fcgi"
(pid 11810) terminated by calling exit with status '13'
[Tue Dec 20 13:22:15 2005] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/home/testguy/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/libexec/mason_handler.fcgi"
has failed to remain running for 30 seconds given 3 attempts, its
restart interval has been backed off to 600 seconds

> Here are the relevant lines of my httpd.conf (b/c I'm sure word-wrap will
> screw them up, there are 8 lines total):

Mine are a little different but I believe the problem is earlier than
the script aliases.

> Other than those minor differences, it looks like your setup should work.
> If not, are you sure the patch applied cleanly? Is anything being logged
> (either in messages or in the apache logs) that looks suspicious (perl
> errors, permission problems, etc)?

See the above. I am 99% certain the patch was applied properly. I
checked out the modified files (RT.pm, webmux.pl, rt-setup-database) and
the installed files all appear to have the correct contents as far as
the patch goes. The problem appears to be that something is not grabbing
the environment variables properly, but I'm not sure how to proceed from
there.

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins