[Rt-devel] Performance 3.4.1, quick advice sought

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Feb 24 11:18:50 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:43:53AM -0500, Stephen Turner wrote:
> At Wednesday 2/23/2005 02:43 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:29:09PM -0500, Stephen Turner wrote:
> >>
> >> This component (the owner drop-down) has been a problem for us at MIT too
> >> (30s to display the search page and the bulk ticket update page). We do
> >> have many potential owners of tickets - there are many groups using RT to
> >> field help requests. It seems like the component doesn't scale too well.
> >
> >So. I have users demanding that "SelectOwner" be switched to a text
> >entry box and users demanding that it not be switched to a text entry
> >box. Not sure I have a good answer.
>
> Sorry if I came across as demanding - not my intention. I do think it's a
> valid issue though, one that warrants some investigation.

Sorry. "demanding" wasn't meant to imply that anyone was doing anything
wrong, but that there are conflicting requirements ;)   Do note that SelectOwner
changed in 3.4.0rc6. It was completely reimplemented and at least on postgres was 2
OOM faster.

> What I'd like to see is the drop-down list executing quickly - we have
> 3.1.14 running (with mysql) with very fast response on the search page.

What about mysql with 3.4.1?

> 3.4.1 against the same data (with Oracle) is considerably slower. I've
> tried to dig into the code to see what might be causing the slowdown but
> I've not been able to track it down.

Log SQL queries and see if there's an index missing?