[Rt-devel] FYI Search/Rights.html : The Refactoring!

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Nov 3 16:57:32 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:55:45AM -0500, Todd Chapman wrote:
> For a while I have been wanting to experiment with making RT
> a little more snazzy. Yesterday I started working on using AJAX
> techniques to allow building searches without so many page
> refreshes. Don't worry, I plan on everything working the same
> as it does now if the user doesn't have javascript (on).

I'll be very interested to see what you come up with. Doing a second
javascript implementation of the query UI was something we always wanted
to do, though I've largely been convinced that we should be spending
that time on a simpler search UI instead.

> The first step is taking most of the code out of Build.html
> and putting it in RT::Interface::Web::Buiuld.pm (where it
> can be regression tested much easier). This also will
> have the benefit that much of the search code duplicated in
> Asset Tracker can be removed.

I'd _love_ that patch. Note also that much of that code is horrible,
horrible duplicate code of code from the TicketSQL library that should
be refactored back into that.

> I just wanted to let everyone know what I was up to. If
> you have any warnings, suggestions, or feature requests,
> please send them my way.
>
> BTW, I am working on 3.4.HEAD which seems to be logically
> the same as 3.5 (except CSS layout of course). Hopefully
> I am not working with soon to be distincted (?) code.

Hm?