[Rt-devel] Why does ObjectCustomFieldValues store Select values' names rather than IDs?

Jim Meyer purp at acm.org
Tue Oct 11 15:05:28 EDT 2005

Hello!

[This is in a 3.4.x instance; I've not verified this in a 3.5.x instance
 as yet, but will do so later this week]

The subject says it all. I don't understand why, for Select-type CFs,
selection names are stored as text in the Content column of the OCFV
table rather than as the selection's CustomFieldValues ID.

Unfortunately, this means that if you change the name of one of your
Select CF's values, you need to either sweep the OCFV table for the old
value and change each reference to the new value (a simple SQL UPDATE
statement, true). Otherwise, the old value will continue to be displayed
in existing objects. Also, if someone updates a CF in the web UI, the
old value will be lost since it didn't load into UI properly.

If this is a bug, I could probably work out a patch in the next week or
so. If not, I want to understand the benefit of this before I go change
it. =]

Thanks!

--j
--