[Rt-devel] Why does ObjectCustomFieldValues store Select values' names rather than IDs?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 13 14:13:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:11:12PM -0700, Jim Meyer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A separate question first: I did a short writeup of the relationship
> between the CF, CFV, OCF, and OCFV tables once I understood it. I didn't
> (and still don't) see anything in the wiki that discusses this. Would it
> be useful for me to put my writeup in there and, if so, where?

Yes. I'm not sure where, though. Put it up and link it from somehwere
prominent and someone will move it if it's not in the right place ;)

> We're messing about with a tagging mechanism (aka folksonomy) which
> would allow users to arbitrarily add new keywords after first validating
> them against existing keywords (as well as dictionary words) to reduce
> the incidence of "broken"/"borken"/"fubar"/"foobar"/etc.
>
> To do this, we're pondering creating a new CF type, FreeSelect, which
> behaves as an "Enter Many" (Freeform) as far as the user is concerned
> but is stored as a "Select Many" (Select) as far as the code is
> concerned.

That's definitely an interesting concept. I'd been thinking about doing
a tags sort of thing as well, but it hadn't gotten there yet.  We're
using tags in another project. It might be worth looking at Text::Tags
and HTML::TagCloud as you go.

> It seems that the proliferation of similar tags would be very likely, so
> I was trying to find an easy way to administer them by merging them
> together (again, a la tickets). Unfortunately, leaving it as is seems to
> make that very difficult or perhaps impossible.

The modern wisdom is that those sorts of things work themselves out over
time and enforcing a wordlist for tags makes it not very folksy ;)

Jesse