[Rt-devel] Sorting an RT collection

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 27 09:29:26 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have a need to sort a collection (of tickets) based on some
criterion that is not a simple table attribute/column. I'm thinking I
can populate a Tickets object in the normal way and then call a new
method to sort the internal array that holds the retrieved database rows.

Where I'm getting confused is: SearchBuilder maintains rows in an
array $self->{'items'}, but Tickets_Overlay seems to maintain a
second array $self->{'items_array'} (in the ItemsArrayRef method).

My questions are:

- Why two arrays?
- Can my goal be achieved as simply as I think (by sorting the
appropriate arrays) or is there more to it?
- Is this (sorting by not-a-table-column) done anywhere currently within RT?

Thanks,
Steve

Stephen Turner
Senior Programmer/Analyst - Client Support Services
MIT Information Services and Technology (IS&T)