[Rt-devel] Front-end improvements to RT

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp andrew.hanenkamp at boomer.com
Fri Dec 1 17:07:00 EST 2006

I've been working to make a number of front-end improvements to RT
within our organization. I was wondering if there was any work going on
to the front-end to make RT look and feel a little better and if I might
be able to contribute to that end.

For example, I've been creating a number of in-place editors that allow
users of JavaScript-enabled browsers (mostly IE and FF), to edit tickets
without reloading the page. I've also implemented a filter for removing
any transaction from the history that is not a Create, Comment, or
Correspond, since some of our users don't really care for the other
information.

Ultimately, I would like to see extensive use of CSS and cleaner HTML
make such extensions easier as well since I've had to hack the Mason
templates quite a bit just to get the infrastructure in place. I've been
using RT since 3.0 and have noticed that this has improved
incrementally, but a lot of work really remains in 3.4. (I haven't yet
tried 3.6, but from what I've seen of the 3.6 this is still not very
different.)

I'm a long-time fan of RT and would like to contribute in this area. I
can send a tarball of the improvements we're currently using if anyone
is interested.

Cheers,
Sterling

--