[Rt-devel] We're hiring! Come hack Perl for Best Practical!

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Feb 24 13:42:51 EST 2006

(You'll likely see this posting circulating more widely in the next
 week or two, but I wanted everyone here to see this before the wider
 world at craigslist and jobs.perl.org sees it.)

ABOUT US

We're Best Practical Solutions, a small software company located
in Somerville, Mass. We build software and sell support, training,
consulting and custom development. Our main product, RT (Request Tracker)
is the premiere opensource issue tracking system, downloaded by about
3000 new organizations every month. We've been around since the fall of
2001 and are entirely self-funded. O'Reilly Media published our first book,
/RT Essentials/, last fall. This winter, we unveiled Jifty,
our next-generation web application toolkit. We're currently hard at
work on our next new product. Things just keep getting busier.

ABOUT YOU

You should be a self-starter who has some experience with Perl, as well
as at least a few of the following:

* Test driven development
* User interface design
* HTML::Mason templating
* Documentation
* Web Services
* Cascading Style Sheets
* Javascript / AJAX
* SQL databases
* MVC frameworks
* Optimization and Profiling
* Subversion and SVK

It's ok if you don't know everything out of the gate, but you should be
able to learn on the fly and be comfortable asking questions when you
get in over your head. RT is a large codebase to dive into (47000 lines
of libraries, 27000 of templates) so you should be prepared to work with
a project that's too big to hold in your head at once. If you want to
see what sort of trouble you're getting yourself into, download a copy
of RT's source code from:

http://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/release/rt.tar.gz

ABOUT THE JOB

We're looking for a mid-level Perl Hacker to help us enhance and refine RT,
Jifty, and our Next Big Thing. You'll be responsible for everything from
implementing new features across all our products to testing and applying
user-contributed patches to our released software. In a typical week, you'll
probably spend about half your time working on customer projects and half
working on internal and opensource projects.

The hours are flexible and we all telecommute some of the time...though we're
just about to move into new office space in the heart of Davis Sq, Somerville.
We do just about EVERYTHING online and on the phone. You should be comfortable
using email and instant messaging systems to collaborate and get work done.
This job doesn't formally require your full-time presence in Boston, though it
would certainly be an advantage.

We're a small company and the boss is typically overextended. You should be
comfortable working independently or in small teams, prioritizing tasks on
your own, and juggling tasks and projects. You need to be able to tell when
you're out of your depth and ask for help.

COMPENSATION:

DOE - This is a full-time salaried position, but the details are negotiable.
We're a small, self funded company. The standard benefits apply, of course:
health insurance, dental insurance and junk food to make that dental insurance
worthwhile.

HOW TO APPLY:

Send a something approximating a cover letter, a resume in
plain text, HTML or PDF form and a sample of your Perl code to
resumes at bestpractical.com. If you're involved in opensource development of
one kind or another, please tell us about it. If you have a CPAN ID, tell
us what it is. We won't consider applications without a code sample. We'll
be paying particular attention to the readability, comments and tests.