[Rt-devel] RT Speed

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Tue Mar 7 14:27:34 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:11:47PM -0500, Michael.ki wrote:
> So you're saying that moving from RT2 to RT3 and MySQL to PG gave you
> performance hit?

Yes, quite a significant one.  Part of the issue, though, is that the
not-MySQL support in RT is sort of an add-on.  It works, but this is
fundamentally an application that was ported from MySQL to other
systems.  MySQL isn't a very database-y database, and it shows when
you're trying to get other systems to work with applications designed
for MySQL.  The developers have done a reasonable job, given that
constraint.

> What have you done to get improvements?  Only indexes?  Something else?

Well, you _really_ need to make your database system go fast.
There's a lot of interaction between the interface and the database,
and not all of it is terribly efficient.  If you can live with MySQL,
then I strongly suggest you stick with it.  Our problem partly came
from a long user list, which made several kinds of searches really
awful.  But many standard kinds of use are just fine.  I will say
that the feature set compared to 2.x is _way better_; better, in
fact, than most systems I've seen.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland