[Rt-devel] Password storage format in RT3.6

Arne Georg Gleditsh argggh at linpro.no
Mon Sep 4 17:15:27 EDT 2006

Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> I think we should allow admins(if it possible) to:
> * choose between MD5 and MD5 salted
> * script that changes stored hashes at once. Is it possible to add
> salt to MD5 hash with password string?

Not that I am aware of.

> It was big surprise to when I saw that we'd switched from md5 in
> base64 to md5 in hex. And also it's very hard to auth against RT's DB
> when some password hash strings are base64 encoded while other are
> hex-encoded.

This I can see.  Instead of overwriting the original password in the db,
perhaps a new column should be added where updated passwords are written
when users log in.  Existence of non-null entries in this column would
then dictate that this be used for authentication instead of the old
column.  External entities authenticating towards RT's database could
then switch to using the new format when the administrator decides
everyone has had sufficient time to log in to RT and so refresh their
accounts.

This also has issues, obviously.  Do password updates change both old
and new columns?  Given that the old-format password store is a security
liability, when do you remove it?  How should the application logic
detect that it is removed and stop updating it?

Overall, I'm not sure this is not at least as painful as just migrating
the way it is done today, switching any external entities to use the new
format immediately and then telling the users to refresh their accounts
by logging in to RT before attempting to access services provided by the
mentioned external entities.  Mileage will no doubt vary.

(The password scheme implemented by the proposed patch is general and
widely deployed, so the need for further migrations should not arise in
a good while.  That is, until someone decides we need to move to SSHA1
or somesuch. :)

--
							Arne.