[Rt-devel] constraints.mysql ... in use by anyone?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Nov 13 16:59:14 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:19:56PM -0800, Otto Hirr wrote:
> Is there a reason that the schema creation scripts
> do not spec constraints?

Mostly because RT does a whole much of app-level referential integrity, both for things that can be represented in SQL and things which can't (There are many items in RT which can refer to any other RT table/record type).

I'd love to get a contribution of updated referential constraints for
any database anyone would care to provide them for.

> Most of the db's seem to have the foreign key constraint
> ability, and those that do not, eg sqlite, take it as a no-op,
> at least in my understanding.
>
> Would it not be better to move forward with having constraints
> defined and be able to drop them for those who don't/can't have them?
>
> There is a file, constraints.mysql, however it is not valid,
> ie there are columns that are not defined in all the schemas,
> eg EffectiveTicket is defined in schema.Sybase and is used
> in constraints.mysql, but is not defined in any of the other
> schemas.

Yes. It's out of date.

> If schema.Sybase is old, then it should be dropped or updated.

It certainly should be updated. (The folks who contributed the sybase
port never finished the work).

> Is there someone that can "push a button" and generate a
> new constraints file?

Sadly no, it's a hand-generated affair.

Best,
Jesse