[Rt-devel] Search builder... Broken?

Michael Brader michael.brader at youramigo.com
Wed Jul 16 22:56:55 EDT 2008

Matthew Watson writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 >   Just reviewing 3.8, very nice (love the new theme). One thing that
 > stuck me though, is that the search builder still seems to be very
 > difficult to use, and almost impossible (it seems) to do what should
 > be a simple thing without going into the advanced window.
 >
 > The Primary difficulty is constructing queries with variations of AND
 > and OR, and nesting,
 >
 > For example.. Constructing a fairly standard query like
 >
 > Subject LIKE 'abc123' AND Queue = 'General' AND (  Status = 'new' OR
 > Status = 'open' )
 >
 > using the point/click search builder seems impossible, or at least,
 > not intuitive, I can't workout how to do it.

I wouldn't say it is intuitive unless you've been doing it a few
years, but you can get your query above by:

Select 'Subject matches "abc123", Queue is general, and Status is new'
Hit add
Click to select "Status = 'new'" in the Current Search box
Click on the right arrow button to make it a subquery
Change the Aggregator to 'OR' and add the "Status = 'open'" clause
Hit add.

 > Is this is a bug in the new version, or just the way query builder
 > works.. or am I just doing it wrong?

In truth, I usually add about half of that then go to the advanced
box. My theory is that the interface is intuitive to the authors of
DBIx::SearchBuilder but presents challenges to the rest of us ;-)

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Brader                          michael.brader at youramigo.com

IMPORTANT - This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information in
which case neither is intended to be waived. YourAmigo retains ownership of
all copyright, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights in the
email and attachments. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
notify us and remove it from your system. It is your responsibility to check
any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
YourAmigo collects personal information to provide and market our services.
For more information about use, disclosure and access, see our privacy
policy at http://www.youramigo.com