[Rt-devel] Problems updating to RT 3.8.0

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 09:44:42 EDT 2008

I must be missing something obvious, but I'm trying to set up a test
RT instance where I can practice what I'm going to do with my upgrade
procedure (from RT 3.4.2).

So far, I've built a brand new RT 3.8.0 installation, which works
fine.  My plan, at this stage, was going to be to drop the RT
database, load a database dump from my production instance, and then
apply the patches as described in the README and UPGRADING.mysql
files.  My understanding is that I need to apply the schema patches in
etc/upgrade first, and then apply the mysql 4.0-4.1 patch, correct?

The problem is I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle.  With my
current directory the location in which I unpacked the RT 3.8 tarball,
I try to apply the 3.5.1 patch, which is the lowest number higher than
the current RT version I'm using, and I get this:

# /itch/rt-3.8.0/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema --datadir etc/
upgrade/3.5.1
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to
connect to your  mysql instance on localhost as rtuser
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type:	mysql
Host:	localhost
Name:	rtdb
User:	rtuser
DBA:	rtuser
Now populating database schema.
Couldn't finish 'schema' step.

ERROR: Couldn't find schema file(s) '*'

There doesn't seem to be anything except a file called 'content' in
that etc/upgrade/3.5.1 - is that correct?

Thanks for your help, I feel like I must have missed something really
obvious here...

Tim