[Rt-devel] Another bug report for RT 3.8

Mon Jul 21 06:47:12 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 16:09, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> though it's
> somewhat at odds with RT's error logging philosophy. Instead, you might want
> to have a log summarization tool mailing daily or hourly RT log failures.

Normally, I agree that logging should be done outside of the user interface. In
this case though, a basic function silently fails. As this can lead to
'I sent you
$veryimportantinfo' 'You did not' 'I can prove it, wait I can't!'
situations, I consider
this a Very Bad Thing That Should Never Happen.
Also, while I now know what to look for, others will not. If the same happens to
them.. Especially as the offending variable was not mentioned in the release
or the upgrade notes, this is bound to happen more than once.

Richard