[Rt-devel] Is the list the right place for issue reports?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jul 23 11:54:41 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is not a 'omg, you lazy bums' or anything, I truly appreciate
> your work!
>
> I am wondering if the list is the correct place to file reports on
> issues.
> It usually takes a long time (if ever?) to get a reply along the
> lines of 'we
> looked at it, we know the issue exists'. Maybe that is the way you
> work
> (no update unless there is a reason to), maybe I file in the wrong
> place,
> maybe the issues are minor. Thus, I just wanted to check if I am
> doing the
> right thing.

If you can reliably reproduce something and have a bit of experience
with RT, it's not wrong to send mail to rt-bugs at bestpractical.com
reporting your issue (ideally with test cases and patch ;)

If you're not sure it's a bug or are looking to chat about what the
right resolution might be, rt-devel is right.

But yeah, I do tend to keep at least the BPS folks largely focused on
the customer side of things. "We'll jump right now" is the sort of
thing we _do_ do for customers. For folks who need immediate help with
bug reports, commercial support is often the right call.

> Again, this is not a snide remark though it could easily be read as
> one. I
> really am asking the questions above and I really want an answer so
> I can
> adapt myself to your workflow.

Understood and appreciated :)

Best,