[Rt-devel] Another bug report for RT 3.8

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Jul 26 19:46:32 EDT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 16:09, Jesse Vincent
> <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:
>

>> though it's
>> somewhat at odds with RT's error logging philosophy. Instead, you
>> might want
>> to have a log summarization tool mailing daily or hourly RT log
>> failures.
>
> Normally, I agree that logging should be done outside of the user
> interface. In
> this case though, a basic function silently fails.

I'd love to see an optional RT extension which allows administrators
to mail errors and exceptions. It may be as simple as a bit of
Log::Dispatch configuration.

> As this can lead to
> 'I sent you
> $veryimportantinfo' 'You did not' 'I can prove it, wait I can't!'
> situations, I consider
> this a Very Bad Thing That Should Never Happen.
>
> Also, while I now know what to look for, others will not. If the
> same happens to
> them.

> Especially as the offending variable was not mentioned in the release
> or the upgrade notes, this is bound to happen more than once.

Can you paste the snippet that went awry? I have an idea of something
that may make you happy and be a fairly reasonable middle ground, but
I need to know more about exactly how you got it to fail so badly.