[Rt-devel] Any interest in the ability in RT to enforce CF value uniqueness?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Oct 18 15:49:10 EDT 2008

On Sat 18.Oct'08 at 18:24:52 +0200, Philip Kime wrote:
> I ask because I have developed as an extension for AT the ability to
> enforce CF value uniqueness for single-valued CFs. This is important
> in AT for things like CFs holding serial numbers, MAC addresses etc. I
> have had nasty things happen because people added duplicates for
> these. I added the ability to be able to enforce single-valued CF
> value uniqueness within asset types or across all asset types. If you
> try to add a duplicate for such a field, it will fail and tell you
> what the conflcting asset is.
>
> However, doing this required modifications to RT - stuff in
> CustomField update code (AT calls the RT API for this) and lots of
> mods to
>
> /Admin/CustomFields/Modify.html
>
> Is there any interest in including this functionality for RT in
> general? I must say it's not as obviously useful for tickets or other
> CFs but I haven't thought about such use cases much. Another
> motivation for asking is that I'd like to have this in AT but it's
> impossible to make it an AT-only thing (without enormous AT mods)
> because AT uses RT code and HTML templates for much of its CF stuff.

It seems like it could be interesting and a lot less invasive than some
of the other very cool CF hacking you've been doing. (As mentioned
before, I really dig the concept of strengthening mandatory fields, but
am pretty nervous about the fallout of doing that within a stable
series.

This seems like it could be slipped in pretty cleanly using the existing
validation codepath.

-j