[Rt-devel] Comparing 3.2 to 3.8

Drew Taylor taylor.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:56:16 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We're in the process of upgrading from 3.2 to 3.8, and one of the
things I've been asked to do is provide a technical comparison between
the two versions as well as a summary of benefits for upgrading.
Performance is a major issue for our installation, and I know that's
been specifically addressed with the 3.4 and 3.6 releases. Here's a
version I've come up with, though I'm sure I don't know all the new
features in 3.8.

1) brings much improved performance due to better database design
2) the "portlets" on the home page.
3) new reporting features (RSS, iCal, reminders, Dashboards)
4) a new and improved design
5) dashboards - a kind of personalized reporting
6) more callbacks to add our customizations
7) can take advantage of community-generated features & customizations
8) more bug fixes than you can shake a stick at
9) improved user customization & preferences

Are there any other major points I've missed? I'd especially be
interested in reporting and new features.

Thanks,
Drew