[Rt-devel] Announce: RT (and related projects) moving to git

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Jun 30 12:21:59 EDT 2009

We're currently in the process of migrating all of Best Practical's
public Subversion repositories from Subversion to git.   Alex Vandiver
has been working over the past few weeks to ensure that we capture as
much history as possible when moving to git.  To that end, he's been
yanking dusty hard drives out of long-disused servers hunting for old
version control repositories.  He's managed to piece back together much
of RT's early history from the CVS repository RT 0.9 lived in and the
Aegis repository we used for a number of years before moving to
Subversion.

In the process, he ended up writing an aegis2git importer (which we'll
publish as soon as we get a free moment) and recovered about a pound and
a half of lint and dust from the aforementioned vintage servers.

You can spot-check the git conversion of RT at:
http://github.com/alexmv/rt-final-preview

We're currently working to give RTFM and RTIR similar treatments.
Once we've done that, we'll announce a formal cutover date. When we cut
over to git, the subversion repositories will become read-only and will
hang around for at least 90 days.

Our git repositories are hosted internally and mirrored to
http://github.com/bestpractical/   We welcome forks and pull requests
for anything we publish to github.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to reply to this message.

Best,
Jesse