[Rt-devel] Possible Conversion From Subversion?

Michael J. Pedersen m.pedersen at icelus.org
Mon May 18 14:15:33 EDT 2009

I did look over the mailing list, and didn't see much that indicated any
discussion about this.

As such, I spent some time making a conversion tool that will convert
the SVN/SVK history into a full Mercurial repository. From there, you
can convert to Git, Darcs, etc, as you see fit.

I typed up a fairly detailed set of information and posted it on the
Mercurial wiki, at
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/ProblematicConversions

I admit that I would very much like to see a switch into something like
Mercurial, mainly because where I work we forked Request Tracker long
ago, and would like to begin remerging the code. The SVN tools for doing
this will be difficult (at best), and the DVCS toolkits will make it
considerably easier to accomplish this reintegration process.

The only issues with the process are as follows:
* When doing an export of a given version, svn does keyword expansion.
  This seems to only affect the result of configure.ac as it embeds the
  SVN revision ID into the file.
* In versions 3.5.1 and 3.5.2, a file etc/upgrade/QUEBEC gets created,
  and then goes away. This seems to be only a minor annoyance in
  housekeeping.
* html/Elements/ViewUser gets created and attached to almost all
  revisions after 3.3.5. This does not seem to impact the functioning of
  RT in any fashion, and is only a minor annoyance in housekeeping.
* 3.7.15 has an empty directory lib/t/regression Mercurial does not
  track empty directories, so this directory is not present in
  Mercurial.
* 3.7.85 has an empty directory t/data/mail Mercurial does not
  track empty directories, so this directory is not present in
  Mercurial.
* 3.8.x has an empty directory var/session_data Mercurial does not track
  empty directories, so this directory is not present in Mercurial.

To my mind, these are all extremely minor issues. I hope that this can,
at least, be considered for a switch.

Thank you.
--
Michael J. Pedersen
My IM IDs: Jabber/pedersen at icelus.tzo.com, ICQ/103345809, AIM/pedermj022171
           Yahoo/pedermj2002, MSN/pedermj022171 at hotmail.com
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60             My Public Key Available At: pgp.mit.edu
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02  233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60