[Rt-devel] RT Init in custom shell scripts.

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 7 14:53:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 13:19 -0400, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:43:26AM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am in the process of setting up a new RT-3.8.5 server to replace our
> > old 3.4.5 server.  While testing some of our custom shell scripts (not
> > scrips), I had a problem with RT::Init failing while it was loading the
> > additional plugins that we have installed.  I traced the problem to
> > RT::InitPluginPaths which only adds the plugin's lib path after the
> > LocalLibPath, and will only do it IF that LocalLibPath is already in
> > @INC.
> >
> > My installation is based on the Fedora rpm, which installs RT into the
> > vendor_perl area of perl's @INC lib path so all standard RT modules are
> > found by default.  I guess I expected RT to automatically include the
> > local lib path in @INC since the variable is defined in RT.pm, but I had
> > to manually include it in my scripts:
> >
> > use RT;
> > use lib $RT::LocalLibPath;
> >
> > Is this expected?
>
> Usually this gets written (on systems where RT doesn't live in @INC)
> use lib ('/opt/rt3/local/lib','/opt/rt3/lib');

Ok, I see it in a BEGIN block of the other installed rt-* scripts.

> > One possible fix is to append the plugin list of @lib_dirs to the end of
> > @INC even when $RT::LocalLibPath is not found in @INC, in the
> > RT::InitPluginPaths function, instead of the current behavior of only
> > appending it if and when $RT::LocalLibPath is in @INC.
>
> This has been discussed internally, but I don't know if there is a bug
> open for changing it.

What does that mean, that it is uncertain that it is really a bug or
just that there is no official bug to track it yet?  It does sound like
a bug to me since the plugin lib path should be added to @INC regardless
of whether the local lib path is there or not.

Thanks,
~Jason

|  Jason A. Smith                          Email:  smithj4 at bnl.gov |
|  Atlas Computing Facility, Bldg. 510M    Phone: +1-631-344-4226  |
|  Brookhaven National Lab, P.O. Box 5000  Fax:   +1-631-344-7616  |
|  Upton, NY 11973-5000,  U.S.A.                                   |