[Rt-devel] SSO without ExternalAuth module

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Fri Feb 26 19:43:35 EST 2010

If one wanted to:
1) set a cookie on another website (like
RTSSO=a4ee5e021e26a2734727e6c4685e9584)
2) have that other website insert some data into a database accessible by RT
associating it with the cookie value of a4ee5e021e26a2734727e6c4685e9584)

... how would one have RT read that cookie and authenticate against the
database data from #2 in order to achieve a single sign on solution?

Ultimately we have users signed into a website throughout the day and want
them to be able to access RT without authenticating again.  If they have not
accessed RT before they should be created.  The database information should
contain their email address and username at a minimum to do this properly.

I've been through the ExternalAuth module a lot of times over the past two
days and I'm making no progress.  I don't understand what the fields are for
and how to set the cookies the module it needs.  It seems that the
documentation on it is limited and there's a note that says Cookie SSO
cannot be used for authentication.  If anyone has any ideas or where to put
hooks to write my own code to do this within RT's source please let me know.

I'm by no means an RT developer but I have a strong grasp of mysql, cookie
usage, and perl/php.  I find RT difficult because of the way Mason loads
files mixed with HTML and perl.  I'm not sure what files within RT would
handle this and I don't want to break upgrades down the road.

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at SUPERB.NET>
SuperbHosting.Net by Superb Internet Corp.