[Rt-devel] [Rt-announce] RT 3.9.4 - first development release leading to RT 4.0.0

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Sep 28 17:36:32 EDT 2010

It gives me great pleasure to release RT 3.9.4, the first development
snapshot leading up to the eventual release of RT 4.0.0.

This snapshot is immediately available from:

http://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/devel/

a0a6fcaaf07d1496c2b28a82a4e760bdbd6b5b26  rt-3.9.4.tar.gz
d8dd8fafb3330bfa2bf598ddccf7de8b550c506c  rt-3.9.4.tar.gz.sig

Over the past four months, we've been hard at work on RT 3.9, a new
development branch based on RT 3.8. Many of the features we've been
working on in RT 3.9 are driven by a generous and supportive customer,
but we've also been able to backport a number of features from our
original RT 4 effort.

As of today, some of the bigger features you can find in RT 3.9 are:

    * A new access-control editing UI
    * Performance improvements
    * Date custom fields
    * Timestamp custom fields
    * IP Address custom fields
    * IP Address Range custom fields
    * A new "ticket lifecycle" state engine
    * A mobile-optimized web interface
    * Browser-based theme and logo customization

We expect fast full-text searching on Postgres and Oracle, as well some
other cool features, to land in RT 3.9 within the next few weeks.

Later today, we will release RT 3.9.4, the first beta version on the
new road to RT 4.0.0. This is a DEVELOPMENT SNAPSHOT and not intended
for production deployment. It should be possible to upgrade your test
databases from RT 3.8.8 to RT 3.9.4. If you run into trouble, please
report it to rt-devel at lists.bestpractical.com.  This release is not
considered to be production-ready and you should not run it in production.

Before you do anything with RT 3.9, you should _definitely_ read the
UPGRADING document, as it describes some fairly substantial changes.

We're not yet promising that the APIs or schema in 3.9 are stable or that
we've documented every problem and upgrade headache. That said,
we do want to hear about what you like (and what you don't). Again,
rt-devel at lists.bestpractical.com is the right place to report such things.

Best,

Jesse Vincent
Best Practical