[Rt-devel] Development roadmap

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue May 3 10:47:39 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:51:22AM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, congratulations on getting RT4 out of the door. The
> Debian package is nearly ready to go pending some DFSG administrivia
> (source to some included compressed JS).
>
> I wondered whether you could let us know what your medium to long
> term plans are for development cycles of RT4? For example, I notice
> that you already have a 4.2 branch. When is that likely to see the
> light of day and what sort of scale of change might it include?
> I ask because I'm wondering whether continuing to name the Debian
> packages after the major.minor number (ie request-tracker4.0) or
> whether it might be time to consider a switch to request-tracker4
> instead[0].

Hi Dom

We'll publish an official policy in the next few weeks, but our plan
is to try and keep 4.0 to 'bugfixes' while features go to 4.2 and we
aim to release 4.2 in the fall.  At that point, 4.2 becomes bugfixes
only and we start working on new features for 4.4.

If you can get a request-tracker4 packages instead of
request-tracker40/request-tracker42 it would make us all very happy.

-kevin