[rt-devel] add attachments from previous txn to reply and comment

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 16 21:11:45 EDT 2012

On 07/16/2012 07:13 AM, Christian Loos wrote:
> Hi RT Developer,
>
> I saw you branch 4.2/attach-from-transactions on github and hope that
> this feature will be available in 4.2.

It needs more polishing, particularly in the UI and display of such
attachments in the history.  Hopefully it'll be 4.2.

> I currently writing an extension that brings this feature to 3.8 and 4.0.

FWIW, the 4.2 branch was sponsored by a customer and as part of that
sponsorship we backported the branch as a 4.0 extension.  It may be
easier for you to do the same rather than starting from scratch.

> Why are you showing only attachments if you are quoting an reply/comment
> and limit the attachments to that transaction?

A ticket has potentially dozens of attachments, while transactions are
likely to have much less.  In addition to UI concerns of a huge
attachment list on the reply/comment page, there's also a significant
performance concern.

On top of that, showing all attachments on the ticket wasn't a
requirement of the sponsor.  The sponsor ultimately decided to change
tack after user testing and have us implement a different attachment
solution, so progress on the branch languished.

> The feature request from our users (and some other users on the
> mailinglist) is to present all ticket attachments no matter if you
> quoting an transaction or create an new reply/comment.

As Ruslan suggested, it would be pretty easy to branch from the branch
and add this as an option.