[rt-devel] problem with dashboard mail in outlook after upgrade from 3.8.13 to 4.0.7

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 19 14:04:34 EDT 2012

On 10/19/2012 05:35 AM, Christian Loos wrote:
> OK found the problem.
> Outlook 2003 doesn't like the 'overflow: visible' style on all elements.
> This was added with this commit:
> https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/6290e017

Outlook shouldn't be using the *print* styles for screen display.

That's frustrating.  I suspect you could solve your issue by leaving
overflow: visible on all elements and adding this rule:

   html, body { overflow: auto !important; }

I'm not sure how I feel about that in the core print styles, since for
printing <html> and <body> really do want to be overflow: visible not
overflow: auto.  Scrolling makes no sense in print!

> Maybe Thomas remembers why the 'overflow: visible' was needed because I
> removed It and didn't see any problems in the print layout.

For any visible element, it's full content should be visible in print
regardless of it's bounding box.  There are elements in RT this matters
for; I expect you just didn't test the right pages.

> Also the styles added for forms later with this commit are never take
> effect as form elements are not displayed within the print layout.

Good catch.  I believe the intent was to render some form elements in a
way that displays their content but not render others.  When developing
the print stylesheet I often used in browser styles to test out changes,
and I expect the transition to print.css lost the removal of the
display: none; rule for <form>s.