[rt-devel] plugins and _Vendor files

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Jun 10 14:36:32 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Bradley Bell <bradleyb at uw.edu> wrote:

> Unless I'm mistaken, no RT class will load more than one Vendor
> overlay, so if I have two plugins installed, and each provide a Vendor
> file, only one will get loaded.
>
> Am I correct in surmising that the overlay mechanism was never really
> meant to be used by plugins in this way?

Yes and no. In 3.6 nad older plugins were installed in local/ so you
couldn't have two plugins with the same _Local.pm or _Vendor.pm file. We
were using such files in plugins, but quickly it proved to be wrong.

> It seems most plugins only
> need to make a couple of changes to RT classes and just do it right in
> the main plugin .pm. Are there any other recommended methods?

see lib/RT/IR.pm in RTIR extension. We basicly wrap methods from
extensions' primary file.

For Asset Tracker, which has several _Vendor files, I'm thinking of

--
Best regards, Ruslan.