[rt-devel] Problems with German Umlaute on new server

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jul 10 21:25:07 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 09:47:40AM +0000, Eierschmalz, Bernhard wrote:
> I installed RT 4.0.19 on a new Ubuntu 14.04 server and imported my old database
> (PostgreSQL 9.3 UTF-8 database)
>
> With new tickets on the new server I have a problem with German Umlaute (äöüß).
> When I create a new ticket with äöü in subject, it’s replaced to öäü
> or something like that.
>
> There’s no difference if I create a ticket from web, rt cli or mail. Old
> tickets are untouched.
>
> The same is for custom fields or other fields (e.g. on users or groups). Only
> message body is OK.
>
> I had a look into the database directly and saw that the data inside the
> database is also wrong.

This sounds like something might be wrong with any field that stores
strings in the database.  Are you sure that you didn't have something odd
happen when you imported your database, such as mangled UTF8 settings?

Testing locally against 9.2.1 with 4.0.19 and a fresh DB, I cannot
replicate. I do not have easy access to 9.3.

If you make a clean RT install on 9.3, do you see the problem?  Do you
see it on RT 4.2?

-kevin