[rt-devel] Rich Text custom fields

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jun 17 15:39:29 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 08:36:05AM +0200, Bart wrote:
>  1. What are your thoughts on this "hack" in particular? (am I doing this the
>     right way, am I overlooking something, etc.).

I'd do it as a new CF Type, which means less overriding / hacking.

You also likely want to remove the Article HTML scrubber, otherwise
you're going to have some things destroyed.

>  2. Should this custom field type be included into RT core? (not saying to
>     replace wiki text, but creating a new CF for rich text)

We've quoted adding this to core for a number of customers, but nobody
has sponsored it and we have a large todo list that it never seems to
make it to the top of.

Sane branches targeting master (for 4.4) which add a new CF type or if
someone wants to work with us to add it, we're always interested.

Keep in mind, if you write a large amount of code as a pull request,
you're asking us to spend time reviewing it and then spend time going
forward maintaining it.  When we work with a client to add a new
feature to core, we consider future maintenance as part of that work.

-kevin