[rt-devel] Patch to add aria labels to SelectionBox arrow buttons

Keith Creasy kcreasy at aph.org
Mon Jun 30 17:55:32 EDT 2014

I tested with two screen readers but here is more information. It is widely supported.

For general information about WAI ARIA see http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria

Current support is at least mentioned at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA

The bottom line is that using ARIA attributes breaks nothing, if screen readers and browsers don't know about it then it is ignored. If you or someone else wants to change the value of the button to have a real label you can and, again, nothing is broken. There just isn't a good reason not to use it here as a way to support accessibility without having to change your user interface.

Having said that, if someone wants to solve it a different way it won't hurt my feelings but it does need to be fixed..