[rt-devel] Creator of transactions on ticket merge

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 13 12:23:33 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:22:12PM +0100, Kai Blöcker wrote:
>    we have been using RT for quite a while now and are very happy with it. Our current production
>    server runs 4.0.6 from the Ubuntu 12.10 repositories.
>
>    We intend to use our own implementation of a TimeWorkedReport, that happens to use the same
>    procedure described in [1]http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/TimeWorkedReport, i.e. based on
>    the transactions for each ticket. Unfortunately this part of the implementation strategy does
>    not work:
>
>    > 4. Was this transaction entered by the user RT_System? If so, it is the result
>    > of a merge operation. Don't count this time and skip to the next transaction.
>    > (The time will be captured elsewhere, under the original user that entered it,
>    > if it originally occurred in this time period of interest).
>
>    For both the SetLink MergedInto transactions and the SetField TimeWorked transactions the
>    Creator is the user that made the merge, not RT_SYSTEM. My question now is: was this behavior
>    changed before or after version 4.0.6? I could not find a reference to it in the available
>    release notes. Right now there is no way to automatically ignore the transactions that come
>    with a merge as they cannot be identified as such. This unfortunately means that the report
>    can change retroactively and some TimeWorked could be counted twice.

TimeWorked on Merges was sort of a mess in 3.8 and 4.0 and was cleaned
up significantly in 4.2.

Search for 'On Merge' in
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/UPGRADING-4.2.html
to read more about the details and the code in time-worked-history.pl
may help you figure out how to implement what you want on 4.0 until
you can upgrade to 4.2

-kevin