[rt-devel] openssl can't read SMIME_PASS environment variable

Marcos Orallo m_orallo at yahoo.es
Mon Nov 3 04:25:05 EST 2014

Hi Alex,

> That's fascinating, as the latest release is mod_perl 2.0.8:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
> http://apache.org/dist/perl/
>
> ...and I'm unaware of any release which works against Apache 2.4.x.

It seems it's not an official release yet, but the package is
available from the official Debian Jessie repos:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libapache2-mod-perl2

>> Anyone knows if this works with FastCGI or other web server different
>> from Apache?
>
> Works fine with FastCGI.  In addition to filehandle, environment, and
> occasional segfualt problems due to library linking, the lack of Apache
> 2.4 support is closing on the final nail in the coffin for mod_perl
> support.  It should not be anyone's fist choice of deployment option.

Noted. It may be good to add some mention to it in the documentation,
to prevent people that starts deploying RT to use it.

>> What would be a (secure) alternative for passing the passphrase to
>> openssl? STDIN? another file descriptor?
>
> I'd choose "Use something less broken than mod_perl".

Thank you, I will try.

Kind regards,
Marcos.