[rt-devel] questions regarding limit attachment size

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue May 12 11:53:58 EDT 2015

> On May 12, 2015, at 8:28 AM, Shawn Moore <shawn at bestpractical.com> wrote:
>

>> 3. Wouldn't it be better to check an uploaded attachment on
>> Ticket/Create.html and Ticket/Update.html against the $MaxAttachmentSize
>> and give the user an error message (which gives the user a chance to
>> attach a smaller attachment) and abort the ticket create/update instead
>> of creating or updating the ticket with a "attachment drop” transaction
>
> Totally agreed. That would be a great improvement. :)

Indeed it would, though there's still the case of asynchronous ticket creation (by mail, for example) to consider. The original design intent was that RT should try hard to lose as little data as possible, so we wanted to accept tickets submitted by users, even if we weren't capable of storing large attachments they sent.

The old behavior was never 'good', but was designed to try to make the best of bad situations.