[rt-devel] kanben view in RT 4.2.12

Jim Brandt jbrandt at bestpractical.com
Fri Feb 26 10:35:45 EST 2016

On 2/25/16 9:24 PM, Joachim Schiele wrote:
>>> You’ll probably want to use Plack::App::WebSocket with an event-based PSGI server (probably Twiggy). RT is typically deployed with FastCGI or similar, so you have your work cut out for you there. :) You’ll either want to have good documentation around switching an RT deployment from FastCGI to Twiggy, or have your users deploy a standalone Twiggy server alongside their RT http server.
>> hm. this leaves me with three more questions:
>>
>> - could you please point out what i need to do in order to use twiggy
>> instead of 'the usual' deployment method?
> right now i call the server like this:
>
> plackup /tmp/rt4/opt/rt4/sbin/standalone_httpd --port 8080
> Twiggy: Accepting connections at http://0.0.0.0:8080/
> so this is probably answered now. can i run the server like this in
> production?
The standalone server only runs one process so you'll likely have
performance issues running that way in production, depending on the size
of production and number of users.
> [...]
>> above code the webserver won't be spinning.
>>
>> - looking into the rt-extension-rest2 i wonder how to put the above
>> example code into
>> https://github.com/bestpractical/rt-extension-rest2/blob/943d8f69ef8e1a0e6d6615fc4f92df0d3fde3cf2/lib/RTx/REST.pm
> got that working, too. was actually pretty simple:
> i just had to add a mount "/websocket" like this:
>
> # Called by RT::Interface::Web::Handler->PSGIApp
> sub PSGIWrap {
> print STDERR "REST2.pm: qknight was here: sub PSGIWrap", "\n\n";
>      my ($class, $app) = @_;
>      return builder {
>          mount $REST_PATH => $class->to_app;
>          mount '/' => $app;
>          mount "/websocket" => Plack::App::WebSocket->new(
>                      on_error => sub {
>                          my $env = shift;
>          print STDERR "plack_app_websocket.psgi: qknight was here:
> /websocket on_error", "\n\n";
>                          return [500,
>                                  ["Content-Type" => "text/plain"],
>                                  ["Error: " .
> $env->{"plack.app.websocket.error"}]];
>                      },
>                      on_establish => sub {
>          print STDERR "plack_app_websocket.psgi: qknight was here:
> /on_established", "\n\n";
>                          my $conn = shift; ##
> Plack::App::WebSocket::Connection object
>                          my $env = shift;  ## PSGI env
>                          push(@WSConnections, $conn);
>                          $conn->on(
>                              message => sub {
>                                  my ($conn, $msg) = @_;
>          print STDERR "plack_app_websocket.psgi: qknight was here:
> message: $msg", "\n\n";
>                                  foreach (@WSConnections) {
>                                    $_->send($msg);
>                                  }
>                              },
>                              finish => sub {
>                                  # most epic remove function ever OMFG
> (qknight)
>                                  my @l;
>                                  foreach(@WSConnections) {
>                                    if ($_ != $conn) {
>                                      push(@l, $_)
>                                    }
>                                  }
>                                  @WSConnections = @l;
>                                  undef $conn;
>                                  warn "Bye!!\n";
>                              },
>                          );
>                      }
>                  )->to_app;
>      };
> }
>
> since my @WSConnections; is a global object i can now send messages to
> all attached clients **yay**!
>
> with using a singleton, like shown here:
>   http://search.cpan.org/~abw/Class-Singleton-1.03/Singleton.pm#DERIVING_SINGLETON_CLASSES
>
> i should be able to create a perl based WSClass which can be used from
> all the RT-codebase as:
> - Instrumenting RT::Record::Create and
> - RT::Record::_Set generally, or
> - RT::Ticket::Create and
> - RT::Ticket::_Set specifically
>
> as you pointed out in order to circumvent the MySQL-only solution.
Another thing to think about is that RT has a concept of transactions
itself outside of the DB. All ticket updates are made in the context of
a transaction and for RT to function properly changes need to run
through that. So for updates from the client -> server, you need to make
sure transactions run so things like scrips work.

Transactions might also help for the server -> client updates. You could
tap into the transaction process (maybe even with a scrip?) to send out
all transactions on the websocket. The client code can then be smart
enough to inspect all incoming transactions and update the internal
view/model if the change applies to a ticket that view is managing. (If
you have different views based on queue or kanban board, some
transactions may not be applicable.)

Not sure if this helps or not, just something to consider.
>>> Instrumenting RT::Record::Create and RT::Record::_Set generally, or RT::Ticket::Create and RT::Ticket::_Set specifically, should get you most of the way there.
>> that is very good information! but i would have to 'modify' the RT-Core
>> as this can't be done from an extension, right?
Yes, extensions can "modify" RT code by overlaying it. If an extension
provides it's own version of an RT file at the same path inside
local/pluging/RT-Extension... then RT will use the extension's version
of the file. You can use this to change just individual subroutines in
perl code or overlay the whole file.