[rt-devel] RT 4.4.1rc1 released

Duncan McEwan duncan at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jun 8 20:03:44 EDT 2016

Apologies in advance if this question is in the wrong list (rt-users may have
been more appropriate) and/or for hijacking this thread in the rt-devel list,
but ...

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 18:54:15 -0400 Shawn Moore <shawn at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> I think the user preferences UI needs
> some polish and reorganization before we add more and more preferences like
> this ...

... picking up on Shawn's comment about preferences, I just wanted to verify
if what seems to be the case actually is.

As far as I can tell, in order to modify preferences a user has to be given
the "ModifySelf" right.  A quick skim over the code in lib/RT/User.pm
(particularly the subs SetPreferences() and CurrentUserCanModify()) seems to
back up my experimental observations.  Am I missing something here?

We would like our staff members (those who handle RT tickets created by our
users) to be able to set their own preferences (such as default theme, whether
or not to use the WYSIWYG editor, etc) without also being able to do things
like change their email address, real name, etc.

At the moment our staff members have the ModifySelf right and we trust them not
to change things we don't want them to.  But I'd feel more comfortable if they
weren't able to make those other changes...!

Duncan