[rt-users] questions before i install

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Aug 7 22:34:48 EDT 2000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 07:24:03PM -0700, Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> hmmm, so why not just use one email alias for the entire system?

Depends on your user community. Note that -comment -action and -correspond
aliases do different things to messages

> in fact, what i'm planning on doing is using fetchmail and examining the
> subject line for things of the form "(queuename) whatever..." and it'll
> pipe to rt-mailgate with the appropriate first argument.
> that takes care of the create case, and as you say, for all other cases it
> doesn't matter because the subject line already has the queuename.
>
> i just have to train users to put "(queuename)" at the beginning of the subject
> line when submitting requests, if they don't want it sent to "general".
>
> shouldn't that work?

It should work great and I'd love to drop the patch in /contrib.  I've tended
to work places with untrainable users :/

> > > 5. i also couldn't find a clear explanation of "correspond" vs. "comment".
> >
> > Comments don't get sent to the end-user. correspondence does.
>
> hmmm, just to make sure i understand the intended use case:
> is this for example when two sysadmins want to exchange some biting comment
> that the submitter shouldn't see, like "when will people ever learn that 'I can't print'
> is not informative?"?
>
> or do both correspond and comment go to the same message log, with
> the same access control? if so, i guess i still don't get the point.

They go in the same message log. but are for things that customers shouldn't see.  Like "what a bozo" or "Don't work on this. we're about to fire this user"
or maybe even status updates that aren't relevant to the user.  Generally
users don't have queue manipulate rights and thus can't see comments. If there
were a usermode RT tool, it would be designed such that the users couldn't see comments.

> > > 6. is there any revised ETA for a 2.0 alpha?
> > >

> > Depends on what you want in it.  It does basically run now. it doesn't do
> > everything right, though. What featureset are you looking for?
>
> nothing in particular, as i haven't got 1.0 up yet.
> mostly i was concerned with getting myself educated on 1.0 only to see
> it all replaced. i've already spent more time staring at manipulate.pm than
> i care to. and inspecting perl code not using -w or -T is not my idea of a good time.

Nor mine. I'm sorry. I wrote much of that before I learned how to code.
I'm hoping to get something usable out this summer and cranking as hard as I
can on it.

jesse reed vincent --- root at eruditorum.org --- jesse at fsck.com
pgp keyprint: 50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91