[rt-users] create request via rt-mailgate

Jim Clark clarkj at auss.sop.dec.com
Wed Aug 9 18:49:14 EDT 2000

Jesse wrote:

> Pretty simple: RT's mail gateway does not trust your email return address
> as proof that you are who you say you are.  Your choices are to
> allow non-members to create requests, look at the %rt user and %rt pass
> commands for the mail gateway (I don't remember if they'll actually work for
> this) or use a different create mechanism.

Thanks Jesse. I had tried the %rt user/%rt pass commands, but without success.
I did not really wish to open up the system with the 'allow non-members to
create'
option, but found the relevant piece of perl and made a small change to map the
email address to a user_id for subsequent authentication. I feel this is a
better
compromise than providing indiscriminate create privilege.

If anyone else is interested in doing this, I can provide a patch.

disclaimer: I'm not a perl hacker! :-)