[rt-users] Newbie Alert (Mail settings)

Bruce D. Meyer gh1 at rocsoft.net
Fri Dec 1 20:44:14 EST 2000

I have rt on a test server right now. I'd rather learn it and mess it up
there before it goes prime time. One thing I noticed is due to my paranoid
way of running the servers. (ISP) I only allow 2 of our 24 servers to run a
mail server. One is sendmail running as a Daemon and handles a few thousand
users, and the others is NT based. When one of the servers needs to send
something via email (like logcheck reports of portsentry etc) it just
executes sendmail sends it's stuff and unloads. (Sendmail is a bear to make
relay proof, and one is enough to keep on eye on) I realize (I think!) that
RT will actually need to receive email, not just send it.  This occurred to
me when one of the guys testing it asked why he kept getting a 'server
unavailable will keep retrying every 4 hours for the next 5 days in his
mailbox every 4 hours from some dude named 'rt.' ;--)
I still won't run sendmail as a daemon, but have considered setting up
either a semaphore or just running sendmail ever 155 minutes as a cronjob to
send and receive anything waiting on it. Is that a problem, or what does
anyone else do, who is not allowing sendmail (or some other email software0
to run as a full time daemon?
I guess I am referring specifically to people whose servers are live on the
internet 24 hours a day and have to deal with RBL, orbs etc and keep the
spammers away from there machines.

Thanks, and please excuse me if I sound like I am clueless. (See subject)

Bruce Meyer