[rt-users] Permission denied

Jan Pompe janp at aurema.com
Wed Dec 6 08:14:13 EST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Max Mismetti wrote:

> oh sorry
>
> rt-mailgate, rt and rtq are lrwxrwxrwx
>
> is there any other file involved on the process you need to know the
> permissions?
>
> mAX

I think using the -R option with chown might have been a mistake
should have picked up on it sooner.  (Its after midnight & I'm
still working on a report needed yesterday) Permissions & ownership vary
throughout the directory tree.

e.g.

peony 00:30:49 /usr/local/rt/bin: ls -l
total 21
drwxr-xr-x   2 rt       rt           1024 May  1  2000 cgi
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 May  1  2000 rt ->
/usr/local/rt/bin/suid_wrapper
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 May  1  2000 rt-mailgate ->
/usr/local/rt/bin/suid_wrapper
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 May  1  2000 rtadmin ->
/usr/local/rt/bin/suid_wrapper
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rt       rt           2104 May  1  2000 rtmux.pl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rt       rt           2167 Apr 26  2000 rtmux.pl.orig
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 May  1  2000 rtq ->
/usr/local/rt/bin/suid_wrapper
---s--x--x   3 root     rt          12780 May  1  2000 suid_wrapper

you may notice suid_wrapper is run setuid & is owned by root & this
could be the core of your problem.

& in another part of the tree where some storage occurs.
peony 00:36:16 /usr/local/rt/transactions/2000: ls -l
total 3
drwxr-x---   5 rt       rt           1024 Apr 23  2000 Apr
drwx------   3 root     daemon       1024 Dec  7 00:06 Dec
drwx------   4 root     nogroup      1024 May 12  2000 May

I think this shohuld help you on your way. Please don't ask
why ownerships are different as I have NFI:-(

In any case some sort of consistency is essential & the other
thing to watch out for is to ensure you don't lock yourself
out of MySQL by changing who rt runs as though I expect this
is determined by suid_wrapper.

Jan