[rt-users] Doc Request: Gotcha for OpenBSD RT users

Jill Lundquist jill at chezns.org
Mon Dec 11 22:23:38 EST 2000

I found a gotcha in RT under OpenBSD.

I installed RT some months ago (and like it very much).  Until this
weekend, I hadn't rebooted my RT server since installation.  When it
rebooted, the all of the interfaces started failing with this error:

libmysqlclient.so.6.0: No such file or directory

In the web error log, it was of course followed by our old friend
"Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/rt/bin/cgi/webrt.cgi"

This meant that the dynamic linker wasn't getting the mysql directory
as one of its directories to search.  I fixed it by adding the
proper mysql directory to the shlib_dirs in /etc/rc.conf, e.g.:
shlib_dirs="/path/to/mysql"	# extra directories for ldconfig

This isn't difficult to debug, but it would be good to have it
mentioned in the install docs.  The ports at openbsd.org mailing list
archives shows no sign of an official OpenBSD RT port.  Could the
maintain of the FAQ and/or install documentation please add a mention
of this gotcha under OpenBSD?

Thanks.

Jill Lundquist		                     jill at chezns.org
"The first butcher I saw as a child had a wooden leg, and to this
 day I have an unreasonable feeling that butchers with two genuine
 legs are impostors."            -Robertson Davies