[rt-users] Unwieldy users list...

Eric Goodman ericg at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon May 1 17:31:01 EDT 2000

>  > I can see as I add new users and queues that the list of users going
>>  down the side of a new queue creation page is going to quickly become
>>  unwieldy.  Any suggestions or has this already been addressed in v2?
>
>Yeah, that has been a problem here also.  The v2 admin interface hasn't
>been made yet, but we should think of some better solution.  Suggestions?
>Maybe optionally allow people to enter a login instead of selecting from a
>list?

One possibility would be two drop downs, one where you select the
user name, the other where you select the access rights, and a button
to assign the selected rights. (Pro: takes very little screen space;
Con: requires separate action for each user)

Another possibility is creating a separate page for assignment of
queue rights. This could be linked from the main queue page and could
be more densely populated with users/rights pairs (e.g., a full table
rather than a single column). This could also allow for sorting by
user or "current access" rights. (Pro: minimizes screen space; Con:
requires new screen/separate action -- complicates admin interface).

On a related note (to manageability of users), I'd be interested in
some sort of external authentication API (to allow authentication
separate from username/passwords in the rt database).

--- Eric

--
Eric Goodman                  | "The opinions expressed by Eric do not
Workstation Support Group     |  represent the opinions of anyone who