[rt-users] today's problems

arclight at jump.net arclight at jump.net
Thu Nov 23 10:49:55 EST 2000

Hi,

Check to see if Digest::MD5 is installed (the module was once
known as just MD5 and changed names with time).

Navigating the perl lib/site_perl directories can be confusing and is
installation-dependent. Here are a couple ways to check:

# this should fail
$ perl -MDigest::Scooby -e 'print "Hi!\n";'
Can't locate Digest/Scooby.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
zsh: 24509 exit 2     perl -MDigest::Scooby -e print "Hi!\n";

# this should succeed if Digest::MD5 is installed
$ perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 'print "Hi!\n";'
Hi!

# this is probably a better test:
$ perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 'print $Digest::MD5::VERSION, "\n";'
2.11

Also, "perldoc Digest::MD5" is an easy way to check but it only
verifies that the documentation is installed. Unless you've upgraded
perl a number of times, the presence of documentation usually
indicates the module is installed. Not always, though, so it's best
to use a functional test like the ones above.

Finally, if you're really bored you can do something like:

$ find /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl -name MD5.pm -print
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/MD5.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/Digest/MD5.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/MD5.pm

This doesn't tell you if perl can find the module (the real problem;
who cares if the library is installed but perl can't find it?). If the
functional test fails, this might help explain why (from the results,
we expect that 'use MD5;' and 'use Digest::MD5;' should be
available. If the funcitonal tests don't agree, we may need to
reinstall Digest::MD5).

Anyway, enough about detecting problems. The easiest long-term
fix is to get perl communicating with CPAN. If you've never done it
before, it's tedious but easy (slightly less easy if you're sitting
behind a firewall).

# As root:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
# answer all the questions if you've never done this before, then
cpan> install Digest::MD5
# another cool trick is
cpan> r
# which tells you which perl modules you have that need upgrading

hth,

-- Bob