[rt-users] Handling foreign characters

Hermann Wecke hermann at wecke.com
Thu Nov 30 19:39:34 EST 2000

As most of my transactions are written in a foreign language, every time an
user sends a message with a foreign character, the RT is "changing" the
subject to a lot of garbage that begins with "ISO-8859-1".

How can I strip this out? Either converting the subject to a plain text or
doing something to avoid this garbage being recorded.

I have a RegEx to handle this "job":

$subject=~tr/áéíóúâêîôûàèìòùäëïöüãõçñÁÉÍÓÚÂÊÎÔÛÀÈÌÒÙÄËÏÖÜÃÕÇÑ/aeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaocnAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAOCN/;

Where is the correct place to include it? Maybe I found a good place: at
/lib/rt/database.pm...

Or should I use the stripmime, from David Troy???

Thanks,

Hermann
(using RT 1.0.5)