[rt-users] Perplexed about permissions/mail loops...

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Sun Aug 5 21:48:49 EDT 2001

Hey all -- am a longtime RT1 user and just upgraded to 2.0.4, so I'm
getting used to everything...

We've had a couple of instances now where two of our queues got into big
fights with each other and produced a few thousand tickets:

- service at toad.net sends mail to billing at toad.net
- service didn't have permission to create a ticket in the billing queue
- billing replies to service "Correspondence not recorded, permission denied"
- billing didn't have permission to create a ticket in the service queue
- service replies to billing "Correspondence not recorded, permission denied"

Only my queue addresses seem to have problems with this "permission
denied" issue -- other random users can create a ticket no problem.

Frankly, this seems dumb to me on two levels -- one, RT should have built
in loop detection so it won't clobber itself this way;  two, I have no
idea now how to correctly set the permissions.  I'm making haphazard "feel
good" changes assigning various groups more permissions, etc., but am not
sure what I'm really doing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a) clear up this loop
problem, b) better understand RT2 groups/users & permissions?

Thanks much,

Dave

David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-544-6193 Sales
ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net