[rt-users] newbie questions...

Steve Poirier steve at Inet-technologies.com
Mon Aug 6 10:25:04 EDT 2001

Hello Stuart,

> 1 : The manuals etc at  http://www.helgrim.com/rtdocs/  are a little bit
> 'lean'. I dont mean to critisize but I didnt find them of much use for
> explaining both installation, administration and general use of RT. Are
> these documents a work in progress? Are any other documents available?

A good 2 hours trying every functions should do it. If it`s you who is going
to train your staff, you should know the system. If  there`s something you
dont understand you can ask if its not in the archive. But its very easy to
use. Or ask a system admin to install it.

> 2 : I would like to use the RT system soley via the web interface. I'm
> anticipating approx. 10 staff to use the system at varying levels. Is it
> possible to create a user account for web access but restrict the ability
> set the configuration? When I logged on to the  'bug system' available at
:
> http://fsck.com/rt2/NoAuth/Buglist.html   I was surprised that I could
> actually access the configuration screens?

You can see the configurations, but can't modify. You can configure  global
groups permissions and individual user privileges. ACL system is very well
implemented.

> 3 : I am not sure I understand the intended use of keywords. My best
> guess is that the keyword structure is used to further refine problem
> classification, beyond creating a ticket in a specific queue. Since the

Yes.  For example, for the sales queue of a division of an ISP, you can
have, Special / Call customer via phone to confirm or Dialup / Common
Problems / Can't connect

> process of specifying keywords for a ticket does not appear in the process
> of creating a ticket, I am not sure my understanding is correct?

Personnally, i think it`s a good idea. You don't want to "load" the screen
with too much info for the techs. If keywords need to be set, you just need
to click Keywords after the ticket is created. One situation where keywords
are used more often is when RT is used for programmers, in this case it can
be a bit annoying but should be easy to add it there.

__
Steve Poirier
Inet Technologies Inc.
http://www.inet-technologies.com