[rt-users] Need "DB_PORT" in Makefile and support throughout build

Darrin Walton darrinw at nixc.net
Wed Aug 15 20:11:36 EDT 2001

  |+ That's exactly what I would say.
  |+ If a test situation is considered viral enough to affect a working software
  |+ config, the assumption should be made, in order to protect the production
  |+ config, that the test may in fact affect the hardware as well, therefore, in
  |+ our shop, all tests get their own box.

Let me present this situation to you.

You have to bring up a circuit (say OC48).  Bringing up the circuit to
test could, in some way crash the router.  (router vendor not important,
it could be either cisco or juniper).

Now, bringing the circuit up on a 'test' router, if you have one available
for both sides of the connections (which let me tell you, gets quite
expensive, usually test equipment is kept in a lab somewhere).  You test
the circuit, it is clean.  Now, you still have to put it on the production
router.  Putting the circuit on the production router could crash the
router.  What do you do?

Your solution is not feesable for every situation.