[rt-users] mod_perl eating resources

Martin Schapendonk martin at schapendonk.org
Mon Aug 20 10:12:58 EDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Wim Godden wrote:
# I would like to use the web interface, but not if it eats 10MB extra per
# process... that means 100MB in total !

You may be confusing size (SIZE) and resident size (RSS). SIZE is the
size of the entire process, _including_ shared memory segments. Resident
size is the real amount of RAM a process is taking.

Apache is quite good in sharing code. In my setup, each httpd takes
about 18MB (SIZE), but is only 4MB resident (RSS). So, 14MB is shared
between httpd processes. Since we usually have about 40 processes, this
means Apache uses 160MB of real RAM. We have 256, so nothing to worry.

Martin

--
  Martin Schapendonk, martin at schapendonk.org, Phone: +31 (0)6 55770237
  Student Information Systems and Management at Tilburg University