[rt-users] Performance Increase through Indexing...

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Thu Aug 23 10:51:04 EDT 2001

Ugh -- been spending the last 24 hours optimizing my RT data tables, etc,
trying to clean out junk, etc.

Was running Steve Poirier's delete_dead_tickets.pl script, and it runs
very slow on large databases;  not his fault.

By creating the following indexes, I was able to increase performance of
RT2 and Steve's script with no other modifications anywhere.  Jesse, in
your opinion which of these might provide the biggest gains overall?

alter table Transactions ADD INDEX TicketIndex(Ticket);
alter table Transactions ADD INDEX EffectiveTicketIndex(EffectiveTicket);
alter table Transactions ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);
alter table Attachments ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);
alter table Attachments add index ParentIndex(Parent);
alter table Attachments ADD INDEX TransactionId(TransactionId);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX EffectiveIdIndex(EffectiveId);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX OwnerIndex(Owner);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);

This has really helped our RT performance.

Dave

David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-544-6193 Sales
ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net